If you are a regular user of the Windows Advanced
Startup Menu it may be wise, rather than having to
perform several mouse movements, to actually create
a simple shortcut on your desktop that, when
pressed, will close your machine down and then
restart the computer before displaying the Windows
Advanced Startup Menu.
To create the shortcut proceed as follows:
- Right click on your desktop and, from the
drop down menu, click on New
followed by Shortcut.
Fig: 8.26.1 Click New
followed by Shortcut
- The Create Shortcut
dialogue box will now appear.
- In the Type the location of the item
dialogue box, Type: shutdown.exe /r
/o/f /t00 and then press the
Fig: 8.26.2 Type in the
relevant parameters and then click Next
- You now need to name the shortcut so, in the
Type name for this shortcut
dialogue box, Type: Advanced Startup
and then click the Finish
Fig: 8.26.3 Give the shortcut
a suitable name
- You should now see your shortcut displayed
on your desktop.
Fig: 8.26.4 The Advanced
Startup icon displayed on desktop
- If you don't like the look of the default
icon on your desktop you can easily change it
for something else.
- To do this, Right click on
the desktop icon and, from the
drop down menu, select Properties.
- In the Advanced Startup Properties
box the Shortcut tab should be
open by default.
- At the bottom of the shortcut tab
window you will see a button marked
Change icon. Click on this button.
Fig: 8.26.5 Click the Change
- A Change icon warning box
will now appear.
- Because shutdown.exe
doesn't have a default icon you have the option
of choosing one which suits you.
- Just click the OK button to
Fig: 8.26.6 Shutdown Exe
doesn't have a specific icon, so choose a new
one from the list.
- A new window will now appear displaying
suitable icons. Click on one to
select it and then click the OK
Fig: 8.26.7 Select the
icon you want to use and then press OK
- If you now look on the Advanced
Startup Properties window you will see
that the icon has now changed to the one you
have selected. Click OK to
complete the selection.
- If you now look on your desktop you will see
the new icon displayed.
Fig: 8.26.8 The changed icon
- The shortcut is now ready to use.