Although Windows Media Center is supplied with
Windows 8 it is not automatically installed. For
Windows 8 Microsoft have decided that, if you want
it installed, you will need to buy a separate
product key and then install the application
The current cost of the key is approximately
$12.99 (Â£6.99) and you obtain a product key via the
Microsoft Store. This is easily accomplished from
within Windows 8 by first opening Control Panel and
then clicking on the System Icon.
Fig: 8.8.1 Open Control Panel and
click the System icon
If you now take a look at the Windows Version
section of this screen you will see details of your
Windows version and, just below this, a link
entitled: Get more features with a new edition of
Fig: 8.8.2 The View basic
information about your computer Window will appear
Click on the Get more features with a new edition
of Windows link and then proceed as follows:
- Press the Yes button on the User Account
Control to access the Add Features window
Fig: 8.8.3 Click Yes when the
User Account Control box appears
- The How do you want to get started window
Fig: 8.8.4 If you want to buy
a product key, click the relevant link on the
How do you want to get started window
- To obtain a Product Key, click the I want to
buy a product key online link.
- After a short while the Here's what we've
found window will appear.
Fig: 8.8.5 Press the Choose
button to select your product
- 5. In this window you see the price of the
product key. To proceed with the purchase press
the Choose button.
- 6. A progress window will then appear,
followed by a Billing Address dialogue box.
Fig: 8.8.6 Complete the
Billing Address information
- Make sure you fill out the Billing Address
dialogue box correctly and the press the Next
- Once your details have been registered you
will be supplied with a product key.
- Once you get the product key go back to step
0 and go through to step 3.
- At step 3, click on the I already have a
product key link.
Fig: 8.8.7 If you already
have a key, then click on the I already have a
key link on the How do you want to get started
- The next window will allow you to Enter your
Fig 8.8.8 Finally insert the
product key number and click the Next button
- Once you have entered your Product Key,
click the Next button.
- Windows Media Center will now start to
- Once the Installation has been completed,
Windows will automatically re-start.
- After your PC has re-started a Windows Media
Center icon will appear on the Windows Start
- Click this Windows Media Center Icon to
start the application.