10.4 Join the Windows Insider Program
The Windows Insider Program is a Microsoft consumer based
initiative which allows members of the program to access
pre-release software and services, i.e., beta builds of the Windows operating
Now, before you even consider becoming a Windows Insider
you should be aware that, as the builds of Windows are only
in development and have not been fully tested, the build
downloaded to your machine may contain numerous bugs. For this
reason you should never install any development build on to
a machine that you use for your normal daily work.
You should also be fairly competent in being able to
re-install the operating system should any problems occur, or
should your PC become unable to boot due to an update to a
this pre-release software.
It is preferable, should you decide to become a
Windows Insider, that you have a spare machine that can be
used solely for installing and testing what effectively are beta
builds of the software.
If you have a spare machine and are confident with
installing and uninstalling test software then by all means
apply for the Windows Insider program.
To apply for the Windows Insider Program, proceed as
- Click the Start button.
- Click the Settings option from the
Fig: 10.4.1 Click the Settings option
- In the Settings window, click on the
Fig: 10.4.2 Next, click the Update&
- The Windows & security window will now open.
- On the Windows Update screen (which
should be displayed by
default), click on the Advanced option link just below
the Check for Updates button.
Fig: 10.4.3 Look for the Advanced
- In the Advanced Option window look towards the
bottom left of the screen and you should see a section
marked Get Insider Builds. You should also see a
Fig: 10.4.4 To get insider builds
start by clicking the get started button
- Click on the Get Started button.
- An Insider Build notification window will now appear
informing you that you will be installing pre-release
software and services that might not be fully tested.
Fig: 10.4.5 Read the information
before pressing the Next button
- To Continue, click the Next button.
Fig: 10.4.6 You need to Confirm that
you wish to continue
- You next need to Confirm that you want to become an
Insider. Do this by pressing the Confirm button.
Fig: 10.4.7 Press the Restart Now
- Once you have pressed the Confirm button another
window will appear asking you to Restart your PC. Press
the Restart Now button to continue.
- Your PC will now Restart.
Fig: 10.4.8 Windows will now Restart
- After the computer has restarted you should visit
the Update & security Advanced options
setting again. If all has gone well the you should see that the Get
Inside Build legend has changed to Stop Insider Builds.
Fig: 10.4.6 You should now see the
Stop Insider Builds button
- You have now enrolled in the Windows Insider
- You can now either manually check for updates by
going back to the Windows Updates screen and pressing
the Check for Updates button or else leave Windows to
automatically check for updates at its scheduled time.
Any new builds will be downloaded and updated as they
- If at a later date you want to unroll from the
insider program, simply press the Stop Insider
Builds button on the Advanced options screen.