For the first time Microsoft has used the Windows
Store as the update vehicle for the latest upgrade
of Windows 8.
While this option may be slightly different to
what you are used to, the procedure is just as
simple as downloading via Windows Updates.
- To begin the Windows 8.1 update download
open the Microsoft Store window.
- In the Microsoft Store window you should
already have an Update to Windows 8.1
for free link displayed.
- Click on the Update to Windows 8.1 for free
link to begin the update process.
Fig 8.11.1 Store Window with
- When the Windows 8.1 update page loads,
click the Download button.
Fig: 8.11.2 To start the
download, click the Download button
- An Installation screen will now appear and
the Windows 8.1 update will begin to download.
Fig: 8.11.3 Downloading the
Windows 8.1 update
- As the download progresses the installation
progress bar will change to Installing.
Fig: 8.11.4 Progress legend
changes to Installing
- The next installation screen will show the
progress of getting your update ready.
Fig: 8.11.5 Getting update
- Your system will now be checked for
Fig: 8.11.6 Checking for
- The changes to your install will now be
Fig: 8.11.7 Applying changes
- Windows now needs to gather information
about your PC.
Fig: 8.11.8 Gathering Info
- After Windows has gathered all the
information it needs your PC will restart.
Fig: 8.11.9 Preparing to
restart your PC
- To continue with the installation your PC
needs to restart.
Fig: 8.11.10 Please restart
- To restart your PC, press the Restart Now
Fig: 8.11.11 Press the
Restart Now button to restart the PC
- Your PC will now restart.
Fig: 8.11.12 Restarting
- Windows next displays its logo screen.
Fig: 8.11.13 Windows Logo
- The Setting Up progress is now displayed.
Fig: 8.11.14 Setting Up
- Next Windows begins to get your devices
ready to run in Windows 8.1.
Fig: 8.11.15 Getting devices
- Windows is now getting ready to apply all of
Fig: 8.11.16 Getting ready
- Next Windows needs to apply the settings for
Fig: 8.11.17 Applying PC
- After Windows has applied all settings you
may get another screen which tells you that
Windows is still setting up a few things.
Fig: 8.11.18 Setting up a few
- After Windows has made the necessary setting
alterations, you are now ready for the final
process of installation. This includes setting
up your account with Microsoft, etc.
Fig: 8.11.19 Getting ready
- The Express settings window now appears.
Unless you really need to customise your
settings the best option is to simply click the
Use Express Settings button.
Fig: 8.11.20 To accept the
default settings, click the Use Express Settings
- You now need to setup your account.
Fig 8.11.21 Beginning to set
up your Microsoft account
- You now need to sign into your Microsoft
Fig: 8.11.22 Sign into your
- The next screen is a security screen. This
asks you the email address which you would like
to use for Microsoft to send you a security
code. Fill in the required details and then
click the Next button. If you simply want to
continue with the setup without filling in these
details, click the I can't do this at
this time link to continue.
Fig: 8.11.23 Fill in the
required details for Microsoft to send you a
- After clicking the next button on the
previous screen you will be presented with the
OneDrive is your Cloud drive screen.
You can either leave this on by default or (not
recommended by Microsoft) turn it off. If you
wish to use OneCare simply press the Next
Fig: 8.11.24 Click the Next
button to enable the OneDrive Cloud Storage
- To turn the OneDrive Cloud drive off, click
on the Turn Off the OneCare (not
- The next screen simply greets you with 'Hi'.
Fig 8.11.25 Windows say's Hi!
- Almost finished!
- Just sit back and wait now for Windows to
complete its installation routine. The next
screen to appear will simply say 'We're setting
things up for you.
Fig: 8.11.26 We're setting
things up for you
- Your apps should now begin to install.
Fig: 8.11.27 You can get apps
from the Store
- Your apps may take a while to install.
Please be patient.
Fig: 8.11.28 Taking care of a
- As Windows finalises the installation of
your apps it is important that you Do
Not turn your PC Off.
Fig: 8.11.29 Getting your
- You are now almost finished installing the
Windows 8.1 update.
Fig: 8.11.30 Almost ready
- At last! You have now finished.
Fig: 8.11.31 Let's start
- Your desktop now appears and you are ready
to begin using Windows 8.1.
Fig: 8.11.32 At last you now
see a familiar desktop