21. Encrypt Portable Media With BitLocker To
Bitlocker was first introduced with Windows Vista
enabling users' of Vista Ultimate, Business and
Enterprise to secure their data from prying eyes.
Windows 7 has taken the Bitlocker theme one step
further by enabling users' to actually encrypt
portable USB thumb drives too.
- Plug in the USB Thumb drive or removable
drive you wish to encrypt into a USB port on
- Click the Start button and type: Bitlocker
into the search box.
- Click on the Bitlocker Drive Encryption link
that appears at the top of the search box.
- The Bitlocker Encryption window will now
- Look down the list of drives for the thumb
drive you wish to encrypt and Click on the Turn
On Bitlocker option.
- Assuming your thumb drive or removable drive
is compatible, Bitlocker will now start to
prepare your drive.
- During preparation you will have the option
to either choose a password to unlock your drive
or use a smart card.
- If you choose the Password option, type in
your password and then Click the Next button.
- If you opt for the Smart Card option, first
select that option then Insert your Smart card.
Once your Smart Card has been inserted you can
Press the Next button.
- The next screen asks How do you want to
store your recovery key. This is important
because if you loose your key then you loose all
access to you data. The best option is to use
both, Save to file and print.
- Once you have saved the password file and
also printed it out, Press the Next button.
- Your thumb drive/removable drive is now
ready to be encrypted. To start the process off,
Click the Start Encrypting button.
- Your drive will now start encrypting.
- The length of time this take will be
dependent upon the size of the thumb/removable
You must Not remove your drive during this
- After encryption has been completed, Remove
your drive and test it to ensure you have access
to your files. You should also try accessing
your encrypted data from another machine that
has Bitlocker installed.