Every user on your PC has his/her own user
account. This enables the user to set up his/her own
desktop arrangement and generally customize how the
PC looks and performs. For security reasons it is
important to have a standard account for yourself
rather than relying upon the administrator account.
You should only use the administrator account for
making changes to your PC, for all other user a
standard account is far safer. At least while you
are logged on as a standard user anyone trying to
tamper with your machine will be unable to do so
because they do not have the administrator account
name and password - only you know that!
It is also wise not to let other members of your
family use your account to access your PC. If they
need to use your PC then make sure they have their
very own user account.
To create a new user profile proceed as follows:
- Click the Start button.
- From the Start menu, Click the Control Panel
- In Control panel, Click the User Account
- The User Account window will open.
- In the Make changes to your account window
you will see numerous options, Click Manage
- The User Account Control will ask you for
permission to continue. If you are the
Administrator then simply Click the Continue
button. If you are not then you will need to
obtain, from the administrator, the user name
and password before you can continue.
- The Choose the Account you would like to
change window will now open.
- In this window, Click the Create New Account
- Another window called Name the account and
choose an account type will open.
- Type the name of the new account in the name
- You next need to select the type of account
you wish to bestow on this new user. Two options
are available, Standard or Administrator.
- A Standard Account bestows the following
user rights: - Standard accounts enable the user
to use most software installed on your computer
and also to change system settings that are not
linked to other users or are security settings.
- An Administrator Account bestows the
following user rights: - The Administrator has
complete control over the computer and can make
any changes they wish.
- Having selected a suitable account, Click
the Create Account button.
- Congratulations! Your new account has now