When you first click on the Computer Folder
option on the Start Menu you may be surprised to
find that drives such as your Card Reader and
External Drive are no longer visible. Unfortunately
this is now a default setting, the idea being not to
clutter the Computer window with too much
Of course, as soon as you insert an SD card into
your card reader or switch on your External Drive
the drive will actually come online and will be
visible, but until you are actually doing something
with the relevant drive it will not show up.
If you find that one or more of your drives are
not displayed in the Computer Folder Windows and you
want them to be permanently displayed you can do so
by doing the following:
- Open Windows Explorer.
- In the Windows Explorer window, Click on the
- From the drop down list, Click on the Folder
and Search options.
- In the Folder Options window, Click the View
- Look for the section marked Hidden Files and
Folders and look for the option 'Hide empty
drives in Computer folder.'
- To ensure that they remain visible, Remove
the check mark from the 'Hide empty drives in
Computer folder' option and then press OK.
- Now when you open the Computer folder your
drives should be visible.